I'm experiencing slow speeds via my Wi-Fi router
Before contacting us, follow the steps below:
- Check to see whether you are receiving a good Wi-Fi signal on your device, usually indicated by a signal strength icon. If signal is poor you may need to move your device closer to the router.
- Make sure your device has the latest version of its operating system and /or the latest wireless drivers.
- Check your device for any viruses or malware.
- Check to see that you're not running any peer-to-peer file sharing programs.
If you're connected via a router, make sure it's an Optify MediaHub. We can only guarantee the speeds with this type of device because they are specially preconfigured by us. Some third party routers can have problems reaching top speeds due to the way they are configured. We cannot help customers to configure third party routers or support the use of them if they are causing service issues.
If you're still experiencing slow speeds, please try these next steps:
- Run a speed test using either fast.com or speedtest.net. Make a note of the speed reported.
- Check the speed against your package. If it matches, then if you want a faster speed, visit My Account and upgrade your package.
- The problem may be due to a certain website. Try checking another site to see if it is also slow. If the second site is OK, the problem is likely to be down to the first site’s connectivity and there isn’t much we can do about that.
- If the site you're trying to access is a popular site like Google, Facebook or Twitter, then please contact Customer Care and we should be able to tell you of any connection issues we may currently have with them.
If problems continue, please contact Customer Care.