Starting out with the Optify Phone service
Your Telephone Number
We will provide you with a new telephone number with the prefix 0203 free of charge, or you can choose to port over your existing number from an existing provider. We charge a small fee for doing this which we will make sure to notify you of at the time.
Can I use my existing Telephone Number?
Yes. In most cases, we should be able to move (or "port") your number from your current provider to our system. If that is the case, then it can take 2-4 weeks for your number to port across to us.
You need to make sure that the telephone number being ported is still an active number in your name at the time the request is made. For example, if you have already cancelled your account with, for example, B,T then the number you have been using is likely to no longer be yours and therefore cannot be ported to our system.
We can only port numbers from certain providers, listed below:
To request a number to be ported, you will need to provide the information below to our Customer Care Team:
- Your existing account number with your current provider
- Your new Optify account number
- The full address with postcode where the number was last in use
- Your current address where you will be using the number moving forward
- The telephone number to be ported
What you need to know
- The telephone service is VoIP (voice over internet protocol) and powered by the internet. It is not an old fashioned fixed line phone and will require a working internet connection to function. If your phone line isn’t working, or you’re not able to make calls, it is likely the cable isn’t plugged into your router correctly, or there is a fault with your broadband service. In both cases, please contact Customer Care.
- The broadband router we provide you with has a telephone port at the back into which a handset will plug. We can look to wire up a separate telephony socket somewhere else in your property, should you prefer your phone to be located in a different place to your router. This work will be subject to an additional charge.
- BT telephone handsets are not compatible with our system unless you buy a "BT socket to RJ11 4 pin adaptor". These adaptors can be bought online and are available from websites, such as eBay, for around £2-£3.
Please click here to see examples of a BT socket adaptor.